Hanging Table Kit
I wanted a small yet sturdy table that I could attach to the outside of my car’s door but that would easily store out of the way when not in use. Unable to find a suitable table on the market, I decided to make my own and, after several prototypes, came up with a great little table that has changed the way I prepare and cook food when I camp. The Kamchatka Gear Hanging Table Kit is an easy and inexpensive way for you to have a hanging table of your own. The completed table hangs from the top of a vehicle's door and can easily be attached or removed in seconds.
Note that this is not a complete, ready-to-use table. This kit includes most of the things you’ll need for your table, including the following:
- 2 vinyl-coated metal hooks with sewn-on cord adjusters
- 4 lengths of 40-inch cord for use as suspension
- A 1/4" drill bit
- A small piece of sandpaper for cleaning up any holes drilled into wood
- 2 3" Gear Ties (rubberized twist ties)
You’ll need to provide two additional items: the table surface itself and an electric drill.
You could potentially use just about any reasonable size of any rigid piece of wood, metal, or plastic for your table surface. I’ve had good luck with cutting boards. My first table surface was a 15” x 20” plastic cutting board from Walmart. While that worked really well for lighter cooking chores, I found that it flexed just a bit too much when the weight of a large pot of water was placed on it. I then moved onto a 15” x 21” wooden cutting board (also from Walmart), and this has worked perfectly. Another option is to simply grab a piece of plywood from your local hardware store and cut it to your desired size. Regardless of the table surface you go with, it should be under 3/4" in thickness.
Once you’ve selected a table surface, you’re going to need to grab your drill and drill six holes in it (a ¼-inch drill bit is included with the Hanging Table Kit). Any standard electric drill should do the job just fine. (If you don’t have a drill, you can always borrow one from a friend or neighbor, buy a cheap used one on Craigslist, or buy one for under $20 from a place like Walmart or Harbor Freight.) Four of these holes are what you’ll thread the kit’s suspension through, and the remaining two holes are for the two included Gear Ties (rubberized twist ties) that protect your vehicle’s paint job from the back edge of your table.
The Hanging Table Kit comes with a full set of instructions (with photos!) on how to make your own hanging table, but just so you know what will be involved, here is a short rundown of the steps:
- Drill 6 holes into your table surface. Four of these holes are for the suspension cords and two are for the rubber twist ties, which act as bumpers and help keep the table from scratching the side of your vehicle. If necessary, use the included piece of sandpaper to remove any rough edges.
- Thread the four lengths of cord through the four suspension holes.
- Thread each cord through its corresponding cord adjuster buckle on the flat hooks.
- Insert a Gear Tie into each of the two remaining drilled holes and twist the ties and bend their ends so that they wrap around the back edge of the table.
And that's it! Once you've procured a suitable table surface and are ready to get to work, it will take less than 10 minutes for you to create your own hanging table. It is not difficult.